The History Center of Olmsted County operates a number of historic properties. More information can be found about each one by choosing one of the tabs to the left.
Built in 1973, the History Center is the main facility. The museum gallery contains exhibits pertaining to Olmsted County’s history. The History Center also houses the research center and Wicklund Archives, Harold Crawford meeting room, administrative offices, collections storage and gift store.
Historic Mayowood Mansion *
Dr. Charles H. Mayo, co-founder of the Mayo Clinic, built Mayowood in 1911. He lived in it until 1939. The estate features gardens and Dr. Mayo’s decorative arts collection. Over 40 rooms are furnished in French, English, Spanish, German and American antiques.
The George Stoppel Farmstead *
In 1856 brothers Joseph and George Stoppel settled side-by-side on acreages in Rochester Township. The History Center resides next to their houses and barn.
An early pioneer home, the Dee Log Cabin was built in the spring of 1862 by William Dee and his wife Bridget. The cabin was located on what we now call 6th street SW between 4th and 5th Ave. The cabin has been on Historical Society grounds since 1987.
Hadley Valley Schoolhouse
The Hadley Valley Schoolhouse was built in 1885, in Haverhill Township about 3 miles from its present location. It was used for classes each year until 1957 when a new brick school was constructed. In 1961 it was moved to the Olmsted County Fairgrounds and in 1975 it was moved to the present site at the History Center.
*Click here to view buildings and properties in Olmsted County listed on the National Registry of Historic Places