Dr. Charles H. Mayo, co-founder of the Mayo Clinic, built Mayowood in 1911. He lived in it until 1939. The estate features gardens and Dr. Mayo’s decorative arts collection. Over 40 rooms are furnished in French, English, Spanish, German and American antiques.
Since undertaking ownership, the Olmsted County Historical Society has operated Mayowood Mansion as a historic house museum. The mansion has been maintained as it was when last occupied by Doctor and Mrs. Charles W. Mayo and is used to interpret the lives of this famous medical family.
Ownership Update: In July 2013, the Mayowood Mansion building and grounds title was transferred to Mayo Clinic, as voted on and agreed to by the membership of the Olmsted County Historical Society. As a part of this agreement, Mayowood Mansion is undergoing significant renovations. Mayowood Mansion remains open to the public for scheduled tour days. Check back often for updates on the renovation!
Click below to see a news piece done by WCCO about Historic Mayowood Mansion.