English born Dr. William Worrall Mayo arrived in Rochester, Minnesota in the Spring of 1863 to act as examining surgeon for the men being inducted into the Northern Army to serve in the Civil War. He was joined by his wife and family the following year. In 1865, Dr. Mayo entered private practice in the growing community.
In the 1880s, Dr. W. W. Mayo’s son’s, William James and Charles Horace, joined the practice. Out of this family partnership the Mayo clinic evolved, as other doctors were added because of special talents, or to fill particular medical needs.
Dr. Charles H. Mayo’s sons, Dr. Charles W. Mayo and Dr. Joseph G. Mayo, became a part of the Mayo heritage during the 1920s. They helped form the Mayo Clinic into an internationally recognized institution known for leadership in the research and treatment of medical illness.