Your Research at the History Center of Olmsted County
We are committed to providing access to our material and currently are working on a very comprehensive inventory of the archive collection. We invite you to visit our Research Center and discover these important historical resources.
Our collection primarily targets Olmsted County residents, businesses, and organizations. We have records from the very beginning of Minnesota as a territory, up to current times. Use our online index or visit the History Center for the complete collection.
Tuesday – Thursday, and Saturday, 9:00am to 5:00pm (closed Fridays)
Our Reading Room contains the records found in our online indexes. We have almost 2 million records in our online databases and are continuing to update these resources. A patrons’ computer provides access to our online database, as well as our museum catalog. We have four microfilm viewers to allow researchers to view and print our microfilm records. We also have a copy machine for patrons to copy any documents they find in our reading room.
Special resources include:
- Rochester newspapers 1859-present
- Olmsted County newspapers from surrounding communities.
- Rochester & Olmsted County City directories, 1873 to 1998
- Birth, death & marriage records for Olmsted County
- Birth, death, and marriage records for several SE MN Counties
- Olmsted County probate & guardianship records
- Olmsted County plat maps
- Rochester high school yearbooks
- SE Minnesota cemetery inscriptions
- Olmsted County Histories
- Federal census, 1857-1930, for the entire state
- State census, 1865-1905, entire state
- Funeral home records
- Military scrapbooks
- Wedding scrapbooks
- Obituary Scrapbooks
- Grantor/Grantee property record books, 1855-1901
- Know Rochester Official Guide Book, 1930-1979