HCOC Copyright and Use Information
All material on the History Center of Olmsted County World Wide Web Pages is copyrighted by the HCOC unless otherwise indicated. It is for the personal use of students, scholars, and the public. Copying or redistribution for commercial gain without permission of the HCOC is prohibited.
The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult to determine. Whenever possible, the HCOC provides information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, finding aids, and donor records. The HCOC provides such information as a service to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the patron.
Material reproduced from the collections of the History Center of Olmsted County are for viewing and personal use only. Permission for commercial use of any publication, manipulation, display or distribution is only granted by written application to the HCOC. ‘Material’: includes all or any information, artwork, text, video, audio, animation or image files including digital and analog formats, whether downloaded or requested by the client or supplied by the History Center of Olmsted County.
‘License Agreement’ means a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license outlining the fees, the permitted use of ROM images or other material in a specific product(s) and the terms and conditions of use. These Terms and Conditions do not constitute a License Agreement.
Additionally please note that ANY use of digital or other photographic copies beyond personal use, will require prior permission from HCOC. Permission must be obtained for publication in any form, including websites.
HCOC Image Policies
- Possession of any reproduction from the HCOC collections does not constitute permission to use it.
- All fees are in U.S. dollars, are charged per image for a single use.
- The permission to use any reproduction from the collections of the History Center of Olmsted County is granted as long as the conditions of use are met.
Conditions of Use
The permission to use an image or other media from the collections of the History Center of Olmsted County is granted as long as the following conditions are met.
- Possession of a History Center of Olmsted County image or reproduction in any form does not constitute the permission to use it. Permission must be requested in writing.
- Permission is for one-time, one-media, one-project use only. The History Center retains all rights to the images, and material and they may not be used for any other purpose than that listed at the time they are ordered.
- Commercial users must pay the use fee in advance of receiving a permission form signed by the History Center of Olmsted County.
- Credit must be given to the History Center of Olmsted County and the creator of the work, if known.
- Credit must appear with the image or on a credit page that indicates the page number and position on the page, or in the case of a moving image or audio clip captioned to include the correct title and credit with the footage or at the end of film.
- If the image used in any media is still under copyright and the copyright is not held by the History Center, the requester must seek permission from the creator of the work or from the current copyright holder. The History Center will provide the creator’s name, if known.
- The History Center of Olmsted County assumes no responsibility for infraction of copyright laws, invasion of privacy, or any other improper or illegal use that may arise from reproduction of any image.
- Photographs may be cropped to suit design and layout, but may not be altered in any other way without specific written permission.
- The History Center reserves the right to decline permission to anyone who has not compiled with these conditions.
- The History Center reserves the right to decline reproduction of fragile items or for illegal use.
- The History Center reserves the right to require a copy (s) of publication, production, broadcast , or compiled, finished work as part of this use agreement. For web site use, please include the URL.