The Rochester Post newspaper on August 28,1885, announced that a schoolhouse was to be built in Haverhill Township NE of Rochester. The Hadley Valley Schoolhouse was to be “thoroughly fitted with patent desks, blackboards, and other conveniences, and will be a very neat and comfortable place of education.” The cost to build the school was $800.
The Hadley Valley School was used to teach children until 1957, when it was replaced with a new brick school. Electricity and bathrooms were added in the 1930s. The building was moved to the fair grounds in 1961 and then to the History Center campus in 1975.
The school is open as part of school tour programming, and seasonally for self-guided tours. Special programs are offered throughout the year as well.